DOVE Missions is a non-profit organization stationed in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic working with children and their families from the poor areas of Playa Oeste, Aguas Negras, and Barrio Nuevo. Please follow this blog to read about how DOVE serves those in need and how you, too, can lend a helping hand.



Click HERE to go to the website: http://www.dovemissions.org

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Journey To Remember

Written by Samantha Short, who volunteered in the Dominican Republic with DOVE Missions for the month of May.

Overall, my trip to the Dominican Republic and Haiti was an exceptionally eye-opening experience that I will never forget. From tears of happiness and joy to weeps of sadness and pain, every second was enlightening and significant. I will never forget the amazing people that I met there including children, parents, locals, and of course the missionary with a heart of gold, Liz McKie. I am so thankful to have met Liz, as she taught me many important life lessons and exposed me to the front lines of change. She removed the blindfold from my sheltered eyes and threw me into another world... a world with truth and bluntness. It seemed like an out of body experience at first, as it felt unbelievable that such disparity and inequality could exists in the world, even with my education background on the issue. All of my senses experienced shock with the sights that I saw, smells that I smelt and sounds that I heard. I felt emotions that I never knew I had. Something changed in me from the moment the blindfold was removed, and I know that I was for the best. I was able to gain the most valuable experience of my life thus far, due to the kindness and generosity of Liz McKie, founder of and field worker for Dove Missions. Thank you for being the extraordinary person that you are, Liz, and touching the hearts of so many people- including myself. You will always be in my heart, thoughts and prayers.

No comments: