DOVE Missions is a non-profit organization stationed in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic working with children and their families from the poor areas of Playa Oeste, Aguas Negras, and Barrio Nuevo. Please follow this blog to read about how DOVE serves those in need and how you, too, can lend a helping hand.



Click HERE to go to the website: http://www.dovemissions.org

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Emma and Matt

The following testimony is written by Emma Hills. She and her husband came all the way from Scotland and spent 2 days volunteering with Dove Missions in November. In 2010 she will be running a half marathon to raise money to repair our kids' houses.

In November this year I made my 8th visit to the DR, but was fed up with the tour operator trips where they only show you the side of the DR they want you to see. This, I knew, was not the real DR so with a bit of internet reasearch i found Dove Missions, looked at what they did, read the blogs, read about the kids and just got an overwhelming sense to help these kids.

After a few emails to the DR and looking at the wishlist I packed what I thought could help along with a basketball hoop for the Club and a basketball Cathy had asked for to reward good behavior to 3 boys whom were looked after by their grandmother, who looked after 18 kids!

On the day planned to spend with Dove, Liz picked us up from our hotel then on to Dove's Club. It was only about 10:30 but there were already boys waiting outside the club and this is where i first met Almondo, Eddie, and Alberto whom introduced themsleves to me in English, very impressive!

First job for my husband Matt at the club was to put up the hoop, which the kids went mad for, Domingo took charge with the drill!! With a few of the boys myself and Lisa started to make up baby packs for the new mums at the hospitial we were going to visit later. Thanks to Lisa and my friend Tracey we had lots of baby things and made loads of packs.

The day flew by and we went for lunch, then gave Jose Carlos, Leori and Yeuri their basketball which myself and Matt found very humbling how much they loved the ball and they kept thanking and hugging us for the rest of the day. The other main things that stick in my head are Andy being so lovely and him asking Cathy to take our picture and Almondo asking Matt if I was married then hugging and kissing me all the time!!! Also Alberto made myself a bracelet with my name in it - what a talented boy - it did bring a tear to my eye that he wanted to do that for me when I'm here to help and give them donations.

We then spent a 2nd day at the club, a Saturday so we could meet the girls to. Here we also met Diane and went to Aguas Negras and saw the Haitian school and on to Domingo's house where we met his Mum and the famous Chumchum (pig)!!!! Morning was Boys Club and Andy wrote me a lovely letter with a picture and gave it to me with a flower, Almondo gave me more hugs and kisses and Luis Daniel just wanted to be picked up and cuddled! Also this morning Matt, myself and some of the other volunters sorted through the donations that the club had and put all the stuff for the xmas baskets, separated them, labelled all the arts and crafts stuff - that was some going!!

The afternoon was Girls Club and Diane had donated 2 false nail painting kits and we made them with the girls - paint and glitter eveywhere but they loved it! I also had some girls clothes donated by a young friend of the family, Jessica and I had a beautiful dress that we gave to Elizabeth - she looked beautiful in it.

Saying goodbye was hard but cant wait to return in April and I'm trying to raise funds and ask people if they have any donations they feel they would like me to take already - I've seen how much they are needed and what a smile they can bring. Also when we return, May 4th is my 30th birthday and I can't think of a better way to spend it than with these kids!

Myself and Matt were also so touched by the kids and their housing, that we are trying to get a place on a local half marathon to raise money to re-roof these kids' homes. I can't imagine my roof leaking when it rains when I'm trying to sleep and these kids shouldn't have to have this happen to them. I have never ran anywhere in my life and have just started training and it so hard but will be well worth it if it stops one of the kids from getting wet while they are sleeping.

No comments: